
The ______ Shofar - Heralding the good news behind the wall
Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given to me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel. Ephesians 6:19
Greetings,
Often I hear, “Cherrie, what do you do all day while Russ is at the prison?” Let me give you a few clues….
Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
Quilt, eat, sleep, repeat
A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars
I‟m sure you caught the idea!! I make quilts 4-5 hours a day as a volunteer for an organization in PA called Quilts For Kids.
Here‟s the history of QFK…”When interior designer Linda Arye saw the industrial-sized trash bags of discontinued fabric from the local design center headed for the landfill, she experienced one of those „Aha!‟ moments. Her plan was simple and served two purposes: Use the fabric samples to make patchwork quilts for children in need and save the unwanted fabric from taking up space in landfills. Initially the quilts were given to sick children. „My daughter was hospitalized twice when she was little, and I thought that quilts for kids would help make hospital stays less frightening‟. From there, Quilts For Kids was born.
The project started small. Linda‟s aunt and neighbor each offered to make a quilt, with her aunt signing up to take a quilting class first to learn how. What began as a localized project in the Philadelphia, New Jersey, Delaware region in 2000 has expanded throughout the United States, and the organization receives more than five hundred requests for quilts a month.
QFK sends out pre-cut kits to volunteers, who piece, quilt and ship them back for distribution. There are chapters throughout the country comprised of volunteers looking for fabric and making quilts from that fabric.”
Linda recently wrote, “I just returned from delivering quilts…fell in love with sooo many adorable children with so many different illnesses…many terminal…that I feel heartbroken for them and their moms, dads, grandparents, aunts, uncles and siblings who were by their side. The quilts were the highlight of their day. We delivered to two hospitals today. One a regular Children's Hospital and next to it...is the world’s largest rehab hospital for children...you cannot imagine what I saw...”
Sooo, that‟s what I do. I too, was very sick and hospitalized as a child…what it would have been like to have a quilt!!
We remain, in His hands,
Russ and Cherrie
No comments:
Post a Comment